School Closing Information
St. James Schools offers a variety of ways to hear about emergency closings and other information pertinent to your child:
- Text Alerts – You should have been able to sign up for text messages during enrollment. If you are not receiving text messages please contact your child’s building. You will receive text messages for school closings and other school-related issues. Normal text messaging fees do apply.
- School-Messenger Voice Calls – The district subscribes to a phone contact system where we can create a message and send it to all parents. This is used heavily throughout the year. Please make sure your building secretary has the best phone number to reach you in the event we use Schoolreach. Schoolreach is also used when school cancellations occur.
- District Website – as always, the district will post any important information on the school website to alert parents. This does include any school cancellations, closings, or early dismissals.
- Facebook and Twitter – these two sites also collect feeds for the district.
- Radio Stations and TV Stations – KTTR/KZNN (radio); KRCG (ch. 13) [tv] & KSDK (ch. 5) [tv] will also inform parents of any school closings.
In the event of an emergency (natural or intruder), we ask that our parents follow these simple procedures:
- Please do not telephone the school! While we certainly understand why you want to do so, your restraint will allow telephone lines to remain clear for emergency communication. This includes cell phone lines.
- Turn your radio to KTTR 1490 AM/KZNN 105.3 FM for emergency announcements. If students are to be kept at school or are being taken to a designated location, the media will be advised.
- Please do not come to the school building. To allow for the access of emergency vehicles, it will be necessary to keep the streets and parking lots clear. In addition, your child may not even be at the school but already taken to the pre-determined alternate location.
- Impress upon your children the importance of following the directions of any school personnel, especially in times of an emergency.
WE CAN NOT EMPHASIZE HOW IMPORTANT YOUR COOPERATION IS IN AN EMERGENCY. BEING PREPARED IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF YOUR CHILDREN!